There are many different types of polar patterns for microphones. The main four that I am likely to use as a journalist are:
- Omnidirectional. This picks up everything in all directions.
- Cardiod. This mic picks up everything but what’s behind it. It’s the most common microphone used.
- Hyper cardioid. This mic is more directional to the front
- Shotgun. This is also directional to the front. You have to directly point a shotgun at the sound source.
- Figure of eight (bio directional). This picks up sound from both sides of the microphone, which is good to use to pick up two people talking.